In May many families are raising money to help find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. This video show’s one families motivation and determination.
Why don’t I want to do it now?
Is it boring?
- Do it anyway and consider the consequence if you don’t do it.
- Break it into smaller parts and do one or several parts at a time
Do I only have small blocks of time available but want to do everything from start to finish?
- Change your mindset and make it a positive idea. Small blocks of time mean you only need to do a small amount of work
Am I tired?
- Be aware of your circadian rhythms. Each of us peaks at different hours of the day. Before and after lunch is usually a good time to catch up on mundane activities
Do I fear failing or that it won’t turn out perfectly?
- Fear on losing things,
- forgetting things
- not finishing things or
- doing the wrong thing can generate a lack of action which can affect your self-esteem.
How to be Successful
If you are easily distracted keep only one project on your desk at a time.
Give yourself a time span to complete a project and don’t let your mind wonder from the task
Try setting small goals and giving your self rewards
Think of how you will feel when the task is completed, pride, relief, satisfaction
There are more great ideas in a book titled “Don’t Agonize Organize Your Office”By Diane A Hatcher
Listen to this great song by Abdominal and his Mom. Moms aren’t prefect but they give you something. After listening to this song thank your mom for what you received. http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/5/Happy-Mothers-Day-from-Abdominal-and-his-mom
There are many ways to organize a garage sale. You might find that this way takes less time and energy to set up.
Get number of boxes or bins to collect your items . Mark each container with a price $1.00 $2:00 $0.25 $0.50 $5.00 etc. As you are collecting your items for the sale decide how much you will sell the item for and put the objects of the same price into the same box. Your are pricing items as you sort them so there is less work to do later. How much should it sell for?
- 2/3 of the original price for brand new or barely used items
- 25% – 30% of the original price for the older items
Have a separate display areas /tables for each price grouping. Place a sign on the front each of the table explaining everything on this table costs _______. You are finished and ready to have a great day.
If you want to do a little more work to ensure that you get the right price for each item you can use stickers. They are easy to find at a dollar store.
- use tags one colour per price group.
- red for $10.00, blue for $5.00 etc.
- place a colour coding sticker on each item and when the person buys it you know exactly what to charge.
- if the garage sale is for multiple families or multiple family members give each group their own colour you know which cash box to put the money in. Make sure to never leave the money unattended.
To ensure you get the sale have change.
- have $25 in change
- $20 in $1, $4 in quarters, $1 in dimes and nickels
- keep money in waist pouch so it can;t be stolen
Sometimes a garage sale seems like a great way to make money. Make you are the type of person who likes to barter and is not offended when people tell you that something is not worth the value you have placed on it. It takes time to set up and clean up from a garage sale .
Timeline for a Garage Sale
- sort, clean, price 1 – 2 days
- advertising 2 hrs
- arrange and display wares 4 hrs
- get change 1 hr
- tag sale itself 1 or 2 days
- take unsold items to charity 3 hrs
Garage sales can be a fun way to get rid of your clutter, make some money and meet people. If you feel you don’t have the time, energy , a good location, great items for sale or don’t like bartering you may want to donate your items to a charity and spend the day doing something else.