This book written by Judi Culbertson and Marj Decker is a complete guide to help you declutter and move. It has practical solutions for downsizing your clothing, collections and dealing with sentimental items.
It also addresses how to move a family member to a supervised living facility. The authors remind you that if your parent can make decisions that your purpose is to help them move happily from a large space to a smaller space not make decisions for them.
It suggests that you write a book about your life, put it down in black and white. A number of different ways of recording events about your life are provided.
It has a chapter on the step by step process of moving into your new home. They examine the psychology of making the down scaling change
It is a great resource to have. Who knows when you will need it.
If you are having trouble beginning the process of downsizing remember:
1. Embrace your new lifestyle.
2. You are still the same person; you just choose to have fewer belongings.
3. Simplicity reduces stress.
4. Saying “goodbye” to the past can open new doors in your future.
5. Your worth in is who you are and what you do, not in what you own.